We cannot deny the fact that modern lifestyles are already too dependent on electricity. Along with the benefits that we gain from our electrical system are potential hazards that may lead to serious problems and even death. Since your home is not safe from these risks, might as well know the most dangerous electrical hazards that can happen in your home at anytime. Here are five of those:
- Poor Wiring and Defective Electrical Wires
Always choose quality electrical wiring for your home, even if it will cost you higher than the others. Be sure that it conforms to the electrical safety standards to secure your home from the risks of fire, arc faults, power surges and other issues. Always check if there are already worn out or corroded wires and provide replacement the soonest possible time. Take note, dealing with electrical wiring should not be included in the long list of DIY job, so you should call a professional to solve the issue.
- Outlets Located Near a Water Source
This happens most of the time in the bathroom, kitchens and other areas of the house with water. We all know that water is a good conductor of electricity and putting outlets near it can cause electrical shock. For safety purposes, install outlets at a fair distance away from the water source.
- Pouring Water On Electrical Fires
We all know that firemen’s weapon against the fire is water. But, when it comes to electrical fires in your home, pouring water is not a good idea for it can worsen the fire and cause electrocution. Instead of water, use a fire extinguisher to stop the fire. If you do not have one, turn off your electrical power, evacuate your home and call help from the fire brigade.
- Covered Electrical Cords and Wires
Be sure to keep your cords and wires uncovered to prevent electrical fire due to overheating. For your electrical appliances like computers and televisions, be sure to put enough space for ventilation to prevent the same scenario from happening.
- Light Bulbs
Many homeowners do not think of the light bulb as a major cause of electrical hazards in their home, but they are wrong. Light bulbs can also root to fire, and other electrical problems once kept near flammable materials such as plastics and upholstery. Additionally, in making a replacement, be sure to turn the switch off before doing the task and do not do this with wet hands.
It is important to familiarize yourself with this information for safety and peace of mind. Take time to check your electrical system for similar problems and when you find one, feel free to call our professional electricians at Agape Electrical Services. We deal with electrical concerns fast and right.